Tuesday, November 07, 2006

New Mobile Phone from Telstra


McDougall St at Kirribilli, beautiful at this time of the year being lined with Jacaranda trees in full bloom. This photo was taken today with my new Nokia mobile phone given to me free by Telstra when I agreed to sign on for another 2 years.

This new gadget is also an MP3 player, a radio, a video camera besides having email and web-surfing capabilities. And it even allows me to make phone calls. It runs on the 3G network, a network that is still being expanded and is not complete. I can also access the more advanced features, at addtional costs, in some places.

However, the Telstra staff told me that the 3G is fast becoming 0bsolete and was pushing me to get the alternate "free phone", a Samsung device capable of using the new Next G network.

And the advantage of the Next G? Faster data and ability to access Foxtel cable TV. I can't speak much faster and he did not know how bad my eyesight was. Point is, I told him I was not interested in watching TV on a small screen and hence I took the "obsolete" 3G mobile phone. Competition must be tough if they have to offer such high tech devices at apparently heavily subsidised prices.

I just hope that potential buyers of the Telstra T3 shares realise how vicious the competition is, how quickly technology is going obsolete and how much Telstra is hanging on the Next G to make them lots of money.

Another worry is how useless the new extras can be to people - like me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing - take the phone and sell the shares!

ausiroo said...

And I don't even need a mobile phone!